Make this Delicious, Simple Ginger Beer at home
It's very simple to make your own ginger beer at home. Don't believe for a minute all the talk on the Internets, the truth is plain: Making the greatest tasty ginger beer is simple, cheap and fun.
And no, you do not need a "ginger bug" or "ginger plant". And no, this is not an alcoholic drink, either!
Here is what you need:
- Water 6L - from your tap.
- Sugar 1L- the cheapest sugar you can find, nothing fancy needed.
- Ginger - an inch or two of ginger root from the produce section of your grocery store. Vary to taste.
- Lemon - use about half of the lemon juice and rind, keep the rest for something else.
- Dry Yeast - about 3 teaspoons.
- Raisins - a small handful or so.
- The ingredients are approximate. Nothing is cast in stone - feel free to experiment!
How TO make it:
- Add the water and sugar to the pot. Stir to dissolve.
- Heat the sugar-water mix on the stove until it begins to boil.
- Allow to cool down till slightly warm to the touch.
- Add the ginger, lemon rind, lemon juice, raisins and yeast and stir.
- Cover with a lid, and wait about 12 hours or so, until the mix is bubbling away merrily, and the raisins are floating on the surface.
- Filter through cheesecloth and decant into bottles that can handle the pressure. You could use old pop bottles, or beer-brewer's bottles, as I have here.
- Place the bottles in the refrigerator, and wait two to three days. Before that it will not taste at its best. You should probably drink within a week or so, although it never lasts long enough around here to test!
Now Drink the Tastiest Ginger Beer evAH!:
- Remove the lid slowly, allowing the pressurized gas to escape. There will be a lot of it, and the longer you wait before you open the bottle, the more there will be.
- The sediment at the bottom of the bottle will rise up, and the liquid will appear milky. This is normal, and expected.
- Pour into a glass, if you prefer, and enjoy!